The “busy” season is back with a vengeance this year. The busiest time in the Chicago rental market ranges from the beginning of March to the end of September. More renters then ever are searching to find that perfect place to call home this year. Limited inventory and high demand is limiting the shelf life of many apartments to less then 24 hours in some cases. What can you do to better your chances in not only finding the perfect place but also locking it in to call it your own? Follow these steps and you will be ahead of the curve:
1. Work with a professional real estate agent that knows the rental market in and out
2. Make sure you know the exact properties you will be looking at with the latest rental pricing
3. Know your exact move in date or range of dates that will work for you
4. Bring employment verification – last 2 pay stubs or offer letter are usually fine
5. Bring a check book with you on appointment and come ready to make a decision
In this market indecision is the main reason many lose units from under them. If you are working with the right agent there should be no surprises of what you will be seeing on appointment. Too many times do I speak to clients that are frustrated with their last agent because they didn’t know what they were seeing and even worse the agent showed them properties that didn’t match what they wanted.